Growing tomatoes is a little more than digging a hole and planting it, but not as complicated as many make it out to be. Here is a list of tips that will help you grow large, productive and healthy tomato plants. The video covers all the main points in detail.
1) Purple stems and undersides of leaves are normal and a sign of a healthy plant when the rest of it is green.
2) Purple veining and yellowing can be a sign of under nutrition or over fertilizing. It is important to feed your plants low and steady amounts of (N)itrogen (P)hosphorous and (K) Potassium.
3) N-P-K are on your fertilizer bags and usually represented like this, 3-7-4 which means N-3, P-7, K-4. That is the percentage of N, P, and K in the fertilizer. A 3-7-4 fertilizer is 3% nitrogen, 7% phosphorous and 4% potassium
4) I recommend fertilizers that are around a 5-5-5 give or take a few numbers in either direction. The key is to not over fertilizer but supply a low steady amount of nutrients to your plants.
5) Water soluble fertilizer means your plants can use the nutrients immediately. The plant will absorb nutrients via its leaves and roots.
6) Tomato plants send out deep roots and surface roots. When you top dress your soil the plant uses its surface roots to quickly access the nutrients.
7) Blossom End Rot or (BER) is the browning of the underside or blossom end of your tomatoes. It is related to your plant not being able to access calcium. While it is rare for soil not to have calcium, adding just a little limestone can assure the calcium is present.
8) Mulching helps manage moisture. Blossom End Rot (BER) is more often due to your plant not being able to access available calcium due to watering issues. Even watering allows plant roots to access nutrients. Mulching helps with this.
9) Slowly removing the bottom leaves of your tomato plant creates a disease splash barrier between leaves and soil and helps with air circulation.
10) There are many ways to plant your tomato plants. Plant about 1/3 to 1/2 of the stem when planting your transplants and space them 2-3 feet apart to allow for air circulation.
Please Help Support My Channel: The Rusted Garden - Thanks!
Visit The Rusted Garden Seed & Garden Shop: https://www.therustedgarden.com/ - Check out my discounted seed collections & my 'Grow as I Grow' collection.
Shop on Amazon and Support The Rusted Garden for Free: Anything you purchase gives a % return back to TRG. It is free. Just use The Rusted Garden Amazon Portal http://amzn.to/2ttyray anytime you shop. Thanks for using my link. It helps fund my garden videos!
You can also find gardening products I use in my videos here...
I now have an Amazon Influencer's storefront. I put the products I use, in videos, there. Shopping there is free and The Rusted Garden gets a percentage of sales for anything you buy on Amazon.
Thanks! I have products set up by categories. You can go to my storefront using this secure link: https://www.amazon.com/shop/garypilarchiktherustedgarden
Products in My 2019 YouTube Videos
Seed Starting Supplies and Grow-Light Stations
Containers, Pots and Small Green Houses
Better Greenhouses & Acclimation Set-Ups
Fertilizers & Amendments: Indoor and Outdoor Gardening
Disease and Pest Management
Garden Tools: The Rusted Garden
Gardening Books and Resources
Products I Use and Recommend. I have an affiliation with them:
The Seed Company I Recommend is Everwilde Farms: https://www.everwilde.com/. Use the code RUSTEDGARDEN for a free seed pack. No 'THE' in this code. i have an affiliation with them.
Worm Castings: Use the Discount Code THERUSTEDGARDEN on VermisTerra Products and save 10% at https://vermisterra.com/
GreenStalk Vertical Gardening: Use the Discount Code THERUSTEDGARDEN on GreenStalk 'Vertical Tier Systems'. Use this link and enter my code for the discount http://store.greenstalkgarden.com/?afmc=therustedgarden or this short link http://lddy.no/4eal
My Social Media Links:
Subscribe to My YouTube Channel (800 Garden Videos) - The Rusted Garden: https://www.youtube.com/user/pilarchik
Follow me on Instagram for Harvest Pictures, Updates and Give-Aways: https://www.instagram.com/therustedgarden/
Visit My Original Blog The Rusted Vegetable Garden: https://therustedgarden.blogspot.com/
Contact Me at firstname.lastname@example.org for questions or if you are interested in affiliations or advertising